Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blog #9: Putting it all Together

This book has been a great read for someone going into leadership.  I would encourage all people is any kind of leadership role to read it.  The information provided and stories shard uplift your spirit and make you believe in the foundations of leadership.  These foundations are the connectors in the book: Communication, Support, Safety, Competence, Continuous Renewal, and Trust.  I find opportunity and comfort in each of these topics.  I have been able to reflect, feel affirmed and acknowledge areas with room for improvement.  This is one of these books that I will keep and reference throughout my never ending educational career.  The authors ended this book with a story about a beloved principal who had an illustrious 35 year career as a leader in his school district.  He mentioned how he thought it flew by quickly.  We all know how fast time seems to pass us by.  The superintendent gave a beautiful speech quoting the very popular song, 'You are the Wind Beneath my Wings.'  When Jeff, the retiring principal went up to give his thank you speech he quoted Winnie the Pooh and I loved it so much I thought I would reproduce it here for a continuous reminder.

If ever there's a tomorrow when we're not together
There's something you must remember...
You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem,
And smarter than you think, but the most important thing
Is even if we're apart, I'll always be with you.

 While reading this I thought of my students and all of the people who have impacted my life in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment